Carney Cemetery is located one mile north of Carney Oklahoma on U.S.
177. (Latitude: 354938N, Longitude: 0970109W). It is divided into twelve
blocks and covers 14 acres.
It has often been complimented as one of the most
beautiful small cemeteries in the Nation. Much of this honor must go to
the early sextons who labored long and lovingly and gave of their time,
talents, and gifts. The cemetery was incorporated on the 17th day of May
in the year 1905 from the territory of Oklahoma. There were fifty three
original members of the association.
In November, 1892, Mrs. Effie Pardee and her two year
old son died and were buried in what is now Block 4. Another story tells
of a family passing through the country in 1891 whose daughter died and
was buried in the same block. It is not known for sure who was buried
in the cemetery first, but we do know that Deed Number One was issued to
Anna B. Wood for Lot 17, Block 4 on August, 1905 for $2 dollars by the
newly formed association.
The original land was donated in 1905 by Sylvester
Williams. Later on, more land was donated by Alvin and Mamie Hudiburg,
Harvey Jr. and Nellie Kates, Doyle and Ruby Gaither and Harold and
From the original formation of the Carney Cemetery
until today, a span of over 100 years, the people of Carney have
supported the cemetery with gifts, labor and dedication.